Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scripture

I started reading The Bible again.  Well, online.  Not the paper kind.  In the 22 years that I have professed to be a born again Christian, I have read (and studied) the Bible several times through.  Always through my 'evangelical glasses' of course.  Things have to line up with what "Christianity mainstream" teaches, or your interpretation of scripture is wrong.  Sure, we take parts of scripture literally and others figuratively.  How do we know which is which? Well, don't let me bore you to death but the process is long and involved and uses words like hermeneutics.  The point of this post is, I love Scripture now.  I do!!  I don't believe what I used to believe.  At all.  But what I do know is that Scripture is now beautiful and flowing and lovely.  I would have never used those words to describe the Bible before.  But reading the Bible with my new untainted eyes is liberating and joyful.  Matthew 22:37-40 says, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." This is the greatest and foremost commandment.  "And the second is like it, you shall love your neighbor AS YOURSELF." On these two commandments depends the WHOLE LAW and THE PROPHETS."  Love, love, love.  I choose to love.

1 comment: